10 June 2010

Taking Notes

As a so-called writer, I often will scribble down a cool phrase or well-crafted sentence on a scrap of paper, envelope or a sticky note. My intention is to copy it down in my notebook for future reference when crafting a tale.

Every once in a blue moon, I come across one of these scribbled phrases. Sometimes I toss them, thinking them less than I originally had. Sometimes I copy them into my notebook. And sometimes, I read them, tuck them back in the place where I had just found them, so one day in the future they will surprise me with the same wave of emotion.

That happened to me last night when I opened a book I had tried to read a few months ago, then set aside. Inside it was a makeshift bookmark - a blue sticky note with words scribbled across it. One evening I had been feeling quite down and had begun IM-ing with my old and true pal, Nick, who I have adored for about 20 years now. When we finished with our chat I typed "good night". To which he replied, "Sleep well and know that I love you."

What a beautiful sentence. How could I not write that one down and save it for a future tale? Or, perhaps just save it for myself on a night when I need a smile.

2 comments:

Happy Me said...

That is most definitely a "keeper" note!

toni said...

I think that is something you should read every night before retiring. What a beautiful thing to say!