04 August 2011

The Year of Jo-Ann

Today is my mom's 59th birthday.

Not too long ago she decided that she was going to celebrate being 59 everyday, so she would ease into 60 instead of hitting it head on. She declared the next 365 days to be The Year of Jo-Ann.

I recently asked Jo-Ann (eh-hem, Mom) to share some of the wisdom she has gained in the past 59 years.

Jennifer: You have declared the next year to be The Year of Jo-Ann. What does that entail?

Jo-Ann: I am going to celebrate every day of my life like a special day.

Jennifer: Looking back, what is the most fun age?

Jo-Ann: 19. You're old enough to have independance, but young enough that if you screw up people will still say, "She's just a kid."

Jennifer: Between you and I, who is really your favorite child?

Jo-Ann: Jessica

Jennifer: What did you never do that you should have done?

Jo-Ann: Kicked your father (smile).

Jennifer: If you could go anywhere, where would you chose to go?

Jo-Ann: Paris

Jennifer: If you could meet anyone, living or dead, who would it be?

Jo-Ann: Ben Franklin.

Jennifer: Favorite beverage?

Jo-Ann: Fountain coke, complete with sugar which I never drink

Jennifer: Favorite food?

Jo-Ann: Cheeseburger, which I never eat.

Jennifer: Favorite treat?

Jo-Ann: Anything chocolate.

Jennifer: Happiest memory?

Jo-Ann: As a child on Christmas Eve, we were walking down the dark city street to Midnight Mass and the snow began to fall. It was beautiful.

Jennifer: Worst memory?

Jo-Ann: I was about 5 and we were at Thanksgiving dinner at my grandmother's. My father cracked a joke at my mother's expense and she threw a cup at him.

Jennifer: What are your words of wisdom regarding life?

Jo-Ann: Shit happens.

Happy birthday, Momma Mia!

2 comments:

Liz Anne said...

The Jo-Annism that has stuck with me all my life, that I still give her credit for is "Tables are for glasses, not for asses.". You can bet I hopped off whatever table I was sitting on when she said that.

toni said...

Your mom is a great lady. I really like her and wish I could sit around her kitchen table drinking coffee much more often.